Immigration Bureau
On-Line Service E-Application Information Visas & Immigration About Us
Reservation Check the result of a CRVI Q&A FAQ Forms
Quick Link
Related Sites
Contact Us
Hi Korea e-government for Foriegners
New Release Publication Immigration Guide Glossary
HOME / Information / what's new?   
 Immigration Focus


Simplification of documents in applying for an
E-2(Foreign language instructor) Visa




Starting from Mar. 15 2008, the Ministry of Justice decided to leave out the cannabinoid check on a medical record certificate and exceptionally accept the criminal record certificate verified by his/her consular officer(s) in Korea.






The Ministry of Justice has strengthened it's policies on checking the qualifications of E-2 visa holders by requiring the criminal record certificate, the medical record certificate and the interview with Korean consular officer(s) since Dec 15 2007.






As new policies were put in practice, some complaints have broken out such as inconveniences related to the Apostille certification and the cannabinoid check required for the application for foreign registration.






In order to improve the documentation system for an E-2 visa applicants who got the criminal record certificate issued from his/her home country while staying in Korea or came to Korea imminently without proper Apostille certification, the verification of the consul in Korea on the criminal record certificate will be also regarded as valid.






Besides, the valid period of the criminal record certificate will be extended from existing three months to six months.






In addition, those with the E-2 visa issued after Dec 15 2007 no longer need to submit the criminal record certificate to reissue the same type of visa while staying in Korea.






The Ministry of Justice also decided to remove cannabinoid test from the medical record certificate, which is to test drug taking of Marijuana.






The Ministry of Justice will keep monitoring on and gathering public opinion about E-2 visa system in order to provide Korean nationals with superior foreign language education.




  update : 2008.04.01